Monday, November 29, 2010

Abbey-A2 Art and Design

For my A2 Art this year I have been working on a project called The Art of Lost Words. I chose the word Perantique which means old and ancient. I started by experimenting with typography developing a pattern out of different fonts and sizes. I then folded my typography into an origami owls which I felt represented old and ancient.
I then experimented with collage and image montage (graphic product). I began to focus on jewellery made out of the images and old images I created.
I liked these jewellery pieces I made, however I wanted to create something more substantial and experiment with wood, metals and plastics more.

I started by heat pressing some of my image montages onto ply wood. Then I drew the shape of my owls onto 2D design ready to lazer cut them out of my ply wood. I experimented putting these together in different ways with different findings and small screws.

I am starting to experiment more with jewellery and creating different styles of brooches looking at traditional jewellery for inspiration. These are some of my designs I have come
up with.

I have experimented with different types of acrylic to produce my designs.


What I love about my project so far is my wooden owl necklace. I feel it has worked better than my other necklaces/bracelets as it has the traditional look, which I wanted to achieve with my word meaning old and ancient. I am now developing new angular designs inspired by my origami shape.

2 comments:

  1. Your owl necklace reminds me of a beautiful necklace I bought for my wife from Tibet. It was only after buying it did we find out that it was made from Yak's tail

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an interesting project! I love the way you have travelled & the owl necklace is fabulous! I think the angular shapes will produce some fascinating art work!

    ReplyDelete