Sunday, November 7, 2010

Harriet- A2 Art and Design

This year as part of my A2 Art and Design I have already begun a series of exciting new projects. The whole group are now working as a more experienced and confident art students, everyone is starting to set up a series of new pieces of art.

The project I am working on is called the art of lost words and the word I am work with is ‘Nubivagant’ it means; passing through the clouds. I chose this word from Save the Words to be the basis for this unit of work.

Wanting to commence the year with something that was going to inspire my work, and myself. I decided to create a large model using my preliminary images and origami work. Constructing a piece based on ‘moving among clouds’, with 200 origami peace cranes, I went on to produce a flock of birds. Here you can see I have photographed the model with dramatic lighting. I intended to create something unusual and eye-catching, in which people are attracted to its curious shape and odd presentation.

Using this as a foundation, following the brief I went on to create a graphic product and a mixed media piece. To carry through a geometric theme into my graphic poster I used silhouettes and sections from other images. Including vivid shades of blue to create a modern and eye-catching image.
I created a painting for the mixed media piece, right. Using pixilation I transformed an image of the model, creating a really unusual effect. I then painting this is onto a large board, I believe the clouds worked really well. This is the start of my project, and I am now moving onto creating geometric sculptures.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for such a great post Harriet. I'm so glad you expalined it as it helps me understand the work & thinking that has gone into it. I agree that the clouds worked especially well. Can't wait to see the development!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so amazed by the journey you are making with your selected 'word'. I particularly like the way the geometric forms seem to be passing through the images of clouds. I also find it very interesting that you are returning to 3D form from such an extraordinary starting point which you originally constructed. Can't wait to see where you go next.

    ReplyDelete